self-impressed

At 01:18 PM 9/1/98 -0400, Jay Fenello wrote:
>I have had the opportunity to talk with two different
>branches of the U.S. Government.  I assure you, if the

Jay, few people ever get to talk with a BRANCH of the U.S. Government.
Most people talk with individual staff members, and most of such
conversations are with medium-level officials or below.

You should, indeed, feel honored that you got to talk with TWO entire
BRANCHES.

>technical community doesn't get their act together,
>the U.S. and other Governments *will* intervene.

In case the above wasn't sufficiently clear, Jay, perhaps you should
ratchet down your own sense of information perfection just a tad.  I
realized that chatting with public employees is infinitely impressive, but
one wants to be rather careful in taking comments from them as representing
any certainty about the future.

At 11:21 AM 9/3/98 -0400, Jay Fenello wrote:
>Had you been at *any* of the IFWP meetings, you
>would have noticed that the representatives from
>those organizations argued their positions, and
>lost.

Jay, you make these sorts of firm assertions as if they are objective fact.
 Hence, you should be able to document the basis for them.  Failing that,
you should consider forming your statements in responsible language which
labels them as your personal, unsubstantiated opinion.

>Frankly, it was amusing to watch them
>squirm in their seats as the IFWP consensus
>points were agreed to.

yeah.  right.

d/

Dave CROCKER                                       Brandenburg Consulting
<mailto:dcrocker@brandenburg.com>            <http://www.brandenburg.com>

Tel: +1(408)246 8253      Fax: +1 408 273 6464       Tel: +60(19)3299 445
675 Spruce Drive                                      P. O.  Box 296, UPM
Sunnyvale, CA 94086                               Serdang, Selangor 43400
United States                                                    Malaysia