Policies and procedures to be followed
by SIS in the administration of the .SD
(Attachment B to Letter
from AbdelDafi Mohammed Elhassan ElKhateeb to Stuart Lynn)
- SIS will register the names on the basis " first come first serve"
All requests will be processed on an equal basis.
- Any organization or corporate body may register domain names, independent
of their location provided they have presence in Sudan.
- Registered active domain names must have an operational primary and
secondary Domain Name System (DNS) name server. Both need permanent
IP connectivity to the Internet (for queries and zone transfers) to
be easily checked for operational status and database accuracy at any
time. In two different physical Networks
- The registering body is responsible for its entries, names and maintenance
and is therefore required to update their records in the database as
the need arises. Statements submitted in the application are true, to
the best of the registrants knowledge and do not interfere with the
rights of a third party. The applicant's statement clearly represent
that the domain name is not being registered for any unlawful purpose.
- To delete an active or inactive registration of second level domain
names from the database, a written request should be sent to SIS.
- Insufficient payment for registration/reservation will lead to deletion
- Negligence to pay due amount after elapse of an 'on hold' period of
60 days, will result in deletion of the entry without further notice.
- Deleted entries of second level domain names will become available
for reuse by other applicants. The registrant will not be notified.
- For disputes over a domain name between two or more organizations,
SIS exempts itself from all responsibility for the verification of rights
to a name. SIS cannot act as arbiter of disputes arising out of this
kind of conflict.
- SIS will abide by all court orders without being named as party to
a law suit
- SIS will not be liable for any interruption of business, or any indirect
damages of any kind (including losses of profits) or otherwise.
- SIS will suspend registration of a pending application for a disputed
domain name in case of a conflict with another pending application or
an already registered active or inactive domain name until the conflicting
registrants present a signed and written settlement of the conflict.
- SIS will notify registrants in case of obvious name conflicts or when
names are likely to conflict with another name, trade name, trade mark,
service mark, etc.
- SIS will notify registrants of a domain name ,of acceptance , rejection
or modification, by fax, Telephone or Email.
- Reasons for NIC to reject domain name applications, other than format,
- Incomplete entries in the application form.
- Domain names which are identical with an already registered domain
- Domain names not complying with public ethics.
- No primary and/or secondary DNS server(s) responding properly.
.sd Internet country code Top Level
DOMAIN NAMES FORMAT
- A domain name needs to contain more than 2 and up to 24 alpha-numeric
characters per name within the sets (a . . . z),( 0 . . . 9). e.g. mycompany1.com.sd.
- Special characters such as a hyphen (-) are not allowed as first or
- The first character should be a letter.
- It is preferable that a domain name be similar to the full name of
- Please consider: http://www.iana.org/cctld/specifications-policies-cctlds-01apr02.htm
3. RFC Compliance. The Delegated ccTLD must be operated in compliance
with the following Requests for Comments (RFCs): 1034, 1035, 1101, 2181,
2182. In clarification of the statement of host-name rules in these RFCs,
all domain names in the Delegated ccTLD (excluding subdomain names under
domains registered to third parties) shall comply with the following syntax
in augmented Backus-Naur Form (BNF) as described in RFC2234:
dot = %x2E ; "."
dash = %x2D ; "-"
alpha = %x41-5A / %x61-7A ; A-Z / a-z
digit = %x30-39 ; 0-9
ldh = alpha / digit / dash
id-prefix = alpha / digit
label = id-prefix [*61ldh id-prefix]
sldn = label dot label; not to exceed 254 characters
hostname = *(label dot) sldn; not to exceed 254 characters
4. Tagged Domain Names. In addition, domain names in the Delegated
ccTLD (excluding subdomain names under domains registered to third parties)
having labels with hyphens in the third and fourth character positions
(e.g., "rq--1k2n4h4b") are reserved from initial (i.e. other
than renewal) registration, except as authorized by ICANN policy or by
written exception from ICANN.
The Sudan ccTLD (".sd") domain hierarchy is based on general
category of organizations. The following are their definitions:
Dedicated only for entities that provide commercial services with valid
Commercial Registrations from Ministry of Commerce (MOC) or any equivalent
documents. Also, registered trade names and marks with MOC can be registered
as domain names under com.sd.
Dedicated only for educational and training institutions, e.g., universities,
training institutes, etc., with valid licenses from official government
Dedicated only for Kindergartens, elementary schools, secondary schools,
and high schools with valid licenses from Ministry of Education or from
General Presidency for Girls Education.
Dedicated only for entities that provides health services such as hospitals,
medical clinics, pharmacies, etc., with valid licenses from Ministry
Dedicated only for Governmental entities including ministries, authorities
and government organizations.
Dedicated only for entities that provide Internet-related services,
e.g., ISPs, web hosting, portal sites, etc.
Dedicated only for non-profit organizations including societies, charities,
clubs and public organizations.
the layout, construction and functionality of this site
should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org.
©2002 The Internet Corporation for Assigned
Names and Numbers. All