nIANA - Initial Financing

Jon,

I guess that the nIANA is intended to be self financing.

In that context, the initial financing of nIANA and the initial/interim
Board is a matter of some concern.

If we assume that the initial/interim Board will come from embryonic
Supporting Organisations (see an earlier e-mail from me outlining why I
think this might be the case), then it would be reasonable to expect
that the initial financing would come from the same sources.

How much is required?
In truth, I have no idea - but I assume that nIANA will need at least $1
million to start with - to cover costs, pay staff, pay lawyers, etc.,
etc.  (Any information available on possible start-up and annual costs?)

How could this be raised?
I suggest that the embryonic Supporting Organisations could raise or
pledge $1 million quite quickly.  The Address registries could raise a
third of that from their member organisations, I believe - say
approximately $100K from each of the three regions.  The Domain Name
organisations (cc and g) could probably do the same.  The IETF/IAB could
probably raise such funds from the various organisations which
participate in the IETF.

When is the money required?
In September, 1998, I suppose.

What is required for the fund raising to start?
nIANA needs to look like it will be in place on time - on a basis that
is trusted and agreed at least among the embryonic Supporting
Organisations.

What is required for such funds to be handed over?
nIANA needs to be in place - on a basis that at a minimum is trusted and
agreed among the embryonic Supporting Organisations.

I think a focus is required on establishing the embryonic Supporting
Organisations - both to reflect the existing interests - so that the
funds can be raised and quickly - and to provide a framework for
broadening the Supporting Organisations’ constituencies to fairly
reflect the various and multiple interests that may need to be involved.

Dennis